In 2 days Staci is full term so you never know when she'll go into labor. Since she's a planner, which is good, we've packed a bag, prepared all info for how to get our dog Kalli to the spa, it's actually called a spa, and packed her bag as well.
In Staci's bag is the usual things you'd see in birth bag or whatever it's called. I only have a pair of sweats and a shirt in there. I could get in to all of the contents but other people on the interweb have written that better than I can so I suggest a little Goggle search. I do however have what I consider to be the most important bag packed. My camera bag.
In that I have:
- 2 bodies (Canon XTi and 7D)
- 3 lenses (the nifty 50 f/1.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4.0 and the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8...I had the craptastic 18-55 kit lens in there but as I was writing this I realized it's so bad and I don't need it.)
- 580EX II flash
- Kodak Zx1 HD video camera
- 2 back up batteries for the XTi plus 1 in camera
- 1 back up battery for the 7D plus 1 in camera
- 10 AAs for the flash
- 2x 4gb CompactFlash cards, 2x 2gb CompactFlash cards
- 1x 256mb SD card for the video cam (need more memory)
- Chargers for the Canon batteries
- an extra pair of pants
- a sweatshirt
- a pack of cards (always in there)
- a tiny bottle of Tobasco sauce (always in there)
- an X-Games wrist band from when I shot the X-Games (always in there/never used)
- thumb drive (always in there)
...it's in there now...wonder if I'm missing anything else.
To quell any thoughts that I'm going to be too busy shooting and not paying attention to Staci I can tell you that won't be the case. I just want to be prepared for some good pics. I will try to photograph some of the birth...no naughty bits...just emotion on folks faces, environment and so on. But if it gets in the way the camera will be put down.
However I gotta say that I'm completely able to take photos while paying attention to something else...it's probably a gift from my ADD...I actually take some of my best photos when I know what I want to shoot but then barely pay attention to what I'm doing while I shoot.
In writing this I already changed the bag. My XTi is now out of the bag and will be in the car with me if I'm driving around the city. On it will be the craptastic 18-55mm lens. I don't want all of my gear with me at all times as it's about 15° (Fahrenheit) outside and I don't want my good stuff exposed to extremes. I'm just carrying this around in case we're totally surprised. My in-laws who are bringing the dog to the spa can grab my camera bag on the way.
Maybe once I'm back at work, we're of until the 4th, I'll start carrying the 7D around with a nice lens then have the plan be that the in-laws grab what's left of the bag when they grab Kalli...or maybe I just give them the bag to bring to the hospital.
Shit...what to have in the bag and what to have with me at all times might be the hardest decision we need to make about having this kid.
P.S. in case you;re wondering I use a Naneu Pro Alpha bag...it get's bad reviews on Amazon, but there are only a couple reviewers. I love it and mine has held up really well in the three years I've used it. I love that it opens in the back for security. Burton and Dakine make great bags that open the same way. I'd link to them but I have to run and take the car to the auto body place to get that dent knocked out.